[tizen-compliance] Display server API in Compliance specification

Mats Wichmann m.wichmann at samsung.com
Mon May 19 13:32:25 GMT 2014

On 05/19/14 03:17, Nikita Kalyazin wrote:
> Dear all,
>

> As far as I know, Tizen 2 uses Xorg and Tizen 3 uses Wayland, and they are the only options of display servers for each of Tizen versions (at least for Mobile profile).
> There are many popular frameworks that were ported to Tizen and use window server's APIs:
>  - https://wiki.tizen.org/wiki/Game_development
>  - http://qt-project.org/wiki/Tizen
>
> Is there any reason for not including X/Wayland symbols into the corresponding Tizen compliance specification document (https://source.tizen.org/compliance/compliance-specification)?

Good question.

Normally compliance is seen as the interface between app (the kind that
could potentially go in an app store) and device.  Do frameworks really
fit in that model? Well they do - compliance already lists the Web UI
framework, but it's on the system side of the line, because it provides
something apps will depend on.

The problem with putting the X/Wayland in, from my viewpoint, is that we
already know there are two systems.  Since it's considered outside the
scope of compliance to mandate which one you use, it means BOTH would
have to be listed as optional.  And that an app or framework which
depends on one doesn't work on a device which chooses to implement the
other.  That's a kind of fragmentation of the platform which it feels
unfortunate to introduce this early in the game.

Anybody else have thoughts on this?

-- mats