[Dev] [RFC] Tizen system rollback

Łukasz Stelmach l.stelmach at samsung.com
Mon Dec 2 09:30:35 GMT 2013

It was <2013-11-29 pią 16:07>, when Aliaksei Katovich wrote:
> hi all;
>
> 	I would like to bring to your attention Tizen system rollback feature.
> 	The idea is to provide possibility to roll back Tizen based system to
> 	one of several known working configurations. Most obvious use-cases are:
>
> 	* system update or upgrade failed;
> 	* there are regressions introduced by system update;
> 	* User does not like features added by system update;
> 	* User wants to restore device to first time configuration;
> 	* User wants to restore device to factory defaults.
>
> 	Proposed architecture is based on device-mapper thin-provisioning
> 	capabilities. Please find more details in attached document.
>
> 	Before starting actual implementation of this feature I would like to
> 	hear your opinion about presented architecture and the idea in general.

I am not sure if btrfs' "file-system specific" (p. 6) is a falw. Tight
integration of snapshots with file-system code *may* (it is yet to be
measured) bring better performance. It would also allow for snapshots
for /boot (p. 11).

I am not very fond of the "first boot" thingie. I think as much as
possible should be done in the factory when the image is built. The only
thing that the "first boot" should (as far as I can tell now) do is to
grow file-systems to fill partitions. Actually growing (and anything
else necessary) should be done/tried upon every boot and there should be
short code paths to check if it is needed.

--
Łukasz Stelmach