[Dev] [RFC] Tizen system rollback

Stoppa, Igor igor.stoppa at intel.com
Mon Dec 2 12:32:56 GMT 2013

Hi,

On 2 December 2013 13:58, Aliaksei Katovich <a.katovich at samsung.com> wrote:

>         If my understanding is correct, then we are talking about two
> different
>         things handling two different use-cases:
>
>         1) rollbacks in case devices fails to act stable or at all (my
> proposal)
>
>         vs.
>
>         2) replication of device configuration if original device is
> lost/stolen.
>
>         There is no doubt that these features can co-exist.

Well, my question can be simplified as:
since 2) has to be implemented anyway, why not levaraging it to implement
an alternative to 1) ?
After device failure:
1) boot a read-only minimalistic partition, that can connect to servers and
download (and install):
 a) user specific information present on cloud (user data, list of
installed apps, cgf for each app, etc)
 b) last known base OS
 c) extra apps that the user had installed.
2) reboot the device into the newly reconstructed setup

This would also take care of a gap you currently have: keeping in sync the
modem FW.
It could be easily re-flashed as part of the reconstruction process.
Same goes for whatever other peripheral that might have non volatile FW.

Same process could be used to perform the so called "factory reset":
have a blank user with no apps/data configured.

So, if the process is performed through a "safe" partition, it doesn't even
require a PC,
only connectivity of some sort.

--
cheers, igor