[Dev] [RFC] Tizen system rollback

Artem Bityutskiy artem.bityutskiy at linux.intel.com
Mon Dec 2 13:11:54 GMT 2013

On Mon, 2013-12-02 at 13:17 +0100, Łukasz Stelmach wrote:
> >> integration of snapshots with file-system code *may* (it is yet to
> be
> >> measured) bring better performance. It would also allow for
> snapshots
> >> for /boot (p. 11).
> >
> >       How? Teach bootloader to deal with snapshots?
>
> Teach it btrfs. As far as I know btrfs snapshots are simply
> alternative
> root directories (or subvolumes? Is there anyone wiser than me to
> help?).  All you have to do is to tell the boot-loader which one to
> "mount".

I wonder, what is the boot-loader(s) we discuss?

I am aware of 2 major types of boot-loaders.

1. simple ones, which do not know any FS, they simply read the kernel
from a special place where it is stored in a simple raw format. E.g.,
this may be a special partition, or a separate flash. There may be some
trivial format which allows for storing several kernels/initrd, may be
changing the boot parameters, etc.

2. complex ones, which support file-systems.

Which ones do we discuss? Dow we want to bind Tizen architecture to
either of these? Or we want to be agnostic?

A couple of random thoughts...

Type 2 bootloaders have own disadvantages. E.g., the FS driver teds to
quickly get out-of-date there. There is more complexity when we consider
corrupted FS handling.

It would be cool if the Aliaksei's architecture could be generalized so
that it would allow for btrfs as a special case...

--
Best Regards,
Artem Bityutskiy