[Dev] [RFC] Tizen system rollback

Carsten Haitzler c.haitzler at samsung.com
Tue Dec 3 02:41:00 GMT 2013

On 12/02/2013 08:32 PM, 함명주 wrote:
>> On Fri, 29 Nov 2013 17:07:18 +0200 Aliaksei Katovich <a.katovich at samsung.com>
>> said:
>>
>>> hi all;
>>>
>>> 	I would like to bring to your attention Tizen system rollback feature.
>>> 	The idea is to provide possibility to roll back Tizen based system to
>>> 	one of several known working configurations. Most obvious use-cases
>>> are:
>>>
>>> 	* system update or upgrade failed;
>>> 	* there are regressions introduced by system update;
>>> 	* User does not like features added by system update;
>>> 	* User wants to restore device to first time configuration;
>>> 	* User wants to restore device to factory defaults.
>>>
>>> 	Proposed architecture is based on device-mapper thin-provisioning
>>> 	capabilities. Please find more details in attached document.
>>>
>>> 	Before starting actual implementation of this feature I would like to
>>> 	hear your opinion about presented architecture and the idea in
>>> general.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Aliaksei
>> for updates rendering things unbootable (kernel or low level system) what if an
>> update renders the os unable to even boot? kernel doesn't even work? shouldn't
>> we have a secondary rescue-os install with a "never updated kernel + miniature
>> userspace", which is only JUST big enough to boot, prompt the user that
>> something "bad" happened, maybe ask if they which to go back to stable, factory
>> or initial, then do the rollback, reboot and continue booting normally?
> If you are concerned with a corrupted bootloader. I don't think this feature
> will be able to help you. If it is restricted as low as kernel, it may help.

no - i'm assume bootloader is never touched. i am assuming a kernel WILL
need updates and thus a "bad kernel update" or for that matter any low
level system init breaks can render a device unbootable. the user should
not be forced to go find a pc, download software for it etc. so they can
reflash to a working device. the device should be able to recover on its
own "in the field" (no network needed).