[Dev] Smack Feature for Vconf

Schaufler, Casey casey.schaufler at intel.com
Mon Dec 9 17:30:40 GMT 2013

If they don't know where the files are, how can they check to see if the contents are correct?
How can they possibly figure out if the file is getting created at all?

> One of the big work required for enabling Multi user is linked to the removal
> of the absolute paths. It is implemented in order to let the option of where
> app installation and data dir occurs to the platform developers in relation
> with dynamically created user names.
> https://wiki.tizen.org/wiki/Multi-user_Architecture

That's account creation, which is different from system installation.

> Furthermore as vconf tables can be created at installation time or by the App
> at run time. The labeling of the table cannot always be done by rpm installer.

OK, that's a fair point. On the other hand, setting the Smack label requires CAP_MAC_ADMIN privilege, and apps aren't going to have that.

> The -s option might not be the most elegant code but it covers a real need

No, the -s option code is unacceptable for a number of reasons.
There is no way we can accept the existing code.

> (adding label after App installation in a dynamic path model).

You can use chsmack instead.

> For Labels created during rpm install, we could replace the -s option by a a
> patch in rpm installer to enable support of the platform metadata.
>   https://wiki.tizen.org/wiki/Multi-user_Platform_Metadata

The mechanism is already there.

> But what would be the preferred method for vconf tables created after the
> rpm installation phase ?

Why are they created after the rpm installation? I'm willing to wager that the information is all available at build time.
If you can create the vconf command to create the table at build time you should be able to create the file as well.

> I am afraid that to me the -s option looks like a pretty fair way to solve that
> issue; furthermore it's already implemented in Tizen 2.2 and changing the
> model for 3 does not seem, to me, to add any obvious.

There is only an issue because people are assuming that there is no other way to accomplish the task.
That is not true. I understand that change is uncomfortable, and may require work.