[Dev] KDBus image

Lukasz Skalski l.skalski at partner.samsung.com
Wed Dec 11 10:26:36 GMT 2013

Hi Rees,

Below you can find instruction how I tested kdbus module on RD-PQ target
(with Linux 3.10 and image from tizen.org repository). Maybe some parts
of this document will be useful for you too.

This tutorial was created some time ago but I hope it's still valid.

1) (on Ubuntu host) download developer tools to cross-compile Linux Kernel:

	sudo apt-get install gcc-arm-linux-gnueabi u-boot

2) download Linux Kernel (3.10) from tizen.org repository (tizen branch):

	git clone
ssh://username@review.tizen.org:29418/platform/kernel/linux-3.10 -b tizen

3) create configuration based on default (tizen_defconfig) configuration:

	make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabi- tizen_defconfig

4) enable USB in configuration file:

	CONFIG_USB_G_SLP=y

5) build Linux Kernel and Device Tree (*.dtb)  file:

	make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabi- -j8 zImage
	make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabi- dtbs
	cat arch/arm/boot/zImage arch/arm/boot/dts/exynos4412-m0.dtb > bImage

6) create uImage and after that tarball file:

	mkimage -A arm -C none -O linux -a 40008000 -e 40008000 -n 'Linux 3.10'
-d bImage uImage
	tar cf kernel.tar uImage

7) upload kerner.tar file via lthor:

	lthor kernel.tar

At the moment of preparation this tutorial, image built from tizen.org
repository has been still not bootable, so I created customize image
based on modified kickstart file (please find this file attached). Built
image allows only connection via SDB.

8) create image with tar.gz format:

	sudo mic create loop RD-PQ.ks --pack-to=rd_pq_image.tar.gz

9) upload rd_pq_image.tar.gz via lthor:

	lthor rd_pq_image.tar.gz

10) download kdbus source:

	git clone https://github.com/gregkh/kdbus.git

11) cross-compile kdbus module:

	make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabi- KERNELDIR=../linux-3.10

12) turn RD-PQ device on, copy there all of necessary files and insert
kdbus module:

	insmod kdbus.ko