[Dev] External kernel module building and kernel ABI/API check.

Jacek Pielaszkiewicz j.pielaszkie at samsung.com
Fri Dec 13 08:39:04 GMT 2013

Hi MyungJoo

	My answer below.

Best regrads

Jacek Pielaszkiewicz
Email: j.pielaszkie at samsung.com

In my last patch on tizen.org I added sample external module to show how to
use tools.
Of course I will add some additional documentation to present more details.

> 2. Have you considered using the tool at host in host(x86)-target(arm)
> environment?

> 3. Could you consider using Kernel/tools/* directory for this abi-
> checker?

Regarding to your next two questions. My original plan was to use up a lot
of available
functionality/mechanisms from the kernel. Therefore I used Module.symvers
file as basic
source to get information about all exported kernel symbols and their
version (CRC).
I needed simple tool that performs operations like:
- Compare Module.symvers files for two different kernel version
- Compare kernel Module.symvers with similar file for kernel module
- Extract from external module all kernel symbols use be the module and
  creates output file in format compatible with Module.symvers file.

I didn't find tool that meet my needs therefore I decided to develop own.
Most of operations performed by the tools are not depend on target
architecture (text Module.symvers files testing).

Regarding to module symbols extraction I use libelf to read ELF files.
I tested the tool on x86 and it works fine.