[Dev] External kernel module building and kernel ABI/API check.

Karol Lewandowski k.lewandowsk at samsung.com
Fri Dec 13 10:43:18 GMT 2013

On 12/12/2013 01:47 PM, Artem Bityutskiy wrote:
> Did you check this rather old text Documentation/stable_api_nonsense.txt
> (https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/stable_api_nonsense.txt)
>
> What have changed since time (early 2000 I guess) and why the internal
> stable API stopped being "nonsense"?

Nothing has changed but this is not really related.

What we want to accomplish here is to provide guarantee that kernel
package with given version provides well defined ("stable") API/ABI.

We need this information to know when we really _need_ to rebuild
packages with out-of-tree modules.

BTW Our solution is no different from what other distros are doing
    in this regard (eg. Debian).

Cheers,
Karol