[Dev] External kernel module building and kernel ABI/API check.

Artem Bityutskiy artem.bityutskiy at linux.intel.com
Fri Dec 13 12:04:24 GMT 2013

On Fri, 2013-12-13 at 12:27 +0100, Łukasz Stelmach wrote:
> > Why not to just rebuilt them every time the kernel package changes,
> > wonder? Do you have hundreds of them out-of-tree modules?
>
> It isn't about our modules, they can be rebuilt with OBS, but rather
> about third party ones used/provided by OEMs outside of Tizen
> repositories.

I'd think that you either guarantee that ABI/API check is 100% correct,
or just force external modules to recompile whenever the kernel changes.

May be I misunderstand something, but guaranteeing that is not possible
since API is not only about the amount of arguments, but also about the
semantics of the function.

So why not to just reject loading all the modules which are not compiled
against this particular kernel? I guess something like calculating the
checksum of the kernel sources (*.c/*.h files?) and then checking
against it would work. This would just force 3rd parties to recompile.

--
Best Regards,
Artem Bityutskiy