[Dev] Maintaining upstream project with tizen/upstream branches?

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Mon Dec 16 23:51:58 GMT 2013

On terça-feira, 17 de dezembro de 2013 00:31:35, Tomasz Olszak wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have following case:
> Qt Tizen integration is developed and reviewed in Qt project. It is done in
> wip/tizen branches (wip = work in progress). These branches are upstream
> branches from Tizen perspective. Therefore I've made following assumptions:
>
> 1. It is allowed to rebase tizen branch with upstream from time to time for
> clarity

Should be ok. The maintainer (you) decides when it's time to rebase against
upstream, but you must have good reasons to. Upgrades for the sake of upgrades
are not accepted.

It should be easy to justify, though, like bringing in new required features,
better Tizen support, important bugfixes, etc. Also, "being close to upstream"
is a valid reason: you shouldn't let our copy drift too far.

> 2. It is allowed to fast forward (without codereview) upstream branch to
> HEAD of tracked branch outside tizen.org.

Only the maintainer is allowed to bypass codereview. And you're also allowed
to force-push, though that shouldn't be a problem if you're always updating
fast-forward.

> 3. It is allowed to merge tizen branch with upstream without codereview.

You probably want to rebase (which implies a force push), not merge. If there
have been any changes in Tizen's infra that got upstreamed, we probably want
them removed from our tree.

> 4. Changes related to packaging (patches for the upstream code, spec files,
> rpm macros inside the packaging directory) should go through formal
> codereview process.

Indeed.

As the maintainer, you have the responsibility to ensure that all
contributions are reviewed and that your package is in a good, working state.
That might mean you have to fix things if no one else is doing it and, thus,
review your own contributions if no one else does. For those reasons,
maintainers are given the right to self-review, but please leave that as last
resort and try and get at least one more pair of eyes.