[Dev] upgrading systemd, upgrading kernel

Artem Bityutskiy artem.bityutskiy at linux.intel.com
Fri Dec 20 12:29:53 GMT 2013

On Fri, 2013-12-20 at 12:12 +0000, Clark, Joel wrote:
> We have different kernels because we have different platforms and
> different platform requirements.  IVI needs features in the 3.12
> kernel.  We can't wait for Mobile to decide they are ready to use that
> kernel.

Ah, I missed the "why" part in the question.

Yes, this reason plus various reasons related to different release
cycles.

There are some (solvable) "technical" reasons related to different
packaging (e.g., updating bootloader entries when you install/remove the
package).

There are also big difference in the amount of non-upstream patches the
trees are ready to carry.

--
Best Regards,
Artem Bityutskiy