[Dev] upgrading systemd, upgrading kernel

Łukasz Stelmach l.stelmach at samsung.com
Fri Dec 20 15:08:58 GMT 2013

It was <2013-12-20 pią 13:06>, when Artem Bityutskiy wrote:
> On Fri, 2013-12-20 at 11:33 +0100, Łukasz Stelmach wrote:
>> I'd like to ask everyone here (and please pass this request to those who
>> are not yet subscribed) to take more care when you upgrade something.
>> Especially if the upgraded software depends on components (kernel in
>> this case) that may differ between profiles.
>
> I am not sure it is correct to say in this case that systemd depends on
> new kernel.

Unfortunately it is the case. I admit that it is not so new change
(f74bc146, 2013-11-07) and it is not an upstream change, however, it
appeared in v208 tizen rpms.

https://review.tizen.org/git/?p=platform/upstream/systemd.git;a=blob;f=src/core/mount-setup.c;h=71a16189f2a2f510e181feae2b3335573649b137#l91

Nevertheless the smackfstransmute parameter is not available in our 3.10
kernel. It was introduced in 3.11. I consider putting this on a branch
tizen we all use somewhat unfair.

> It is the Tizen security infrastructure which requires several
> components to be patched, including systemd and the kernel.
>
> So the problem is that the security infrastructure was deployed, but the
> Mobile kernel was not patched.
>
>> BTW. Why do we have separate kernels for IVI and mobile?
>
> Yes, I am the maintainer of the IVI kernel.

Do you think it is possible to arrange coopetion between our kernel
teams to maintain a single branch that would satisfy the needs of both
Mobile and IVI to avoid problems like the one above in the future? What
are your conditions for such cooperation?

--
Łukasz Stelmach