[Dev] upgrading systemd, upgrading kernel

Artem Bityutskiy artem.bityutskiy at linux.intel.com
Fri Dec 20 15:30:37 GMT 2013

On Fri, 2013-12-20 at 16:08 +0100, Łukasz Stelmach wrote:
> > Yes, I am the maintainer of the IVI kernel.
>
> Do you think it is possible to arrange coopetion between our kernel
> teams to maintain a single branch that would satisfy the needs of both
> Mobile and IVI to avoid problems like the one above in the future?

Every Tizen vertical has its own set of "urgent hacks", own freeze
periods, etc. The hacks for phones tend to be larger and more frequent
than hacks for x86 IVI systems. Rebasing to the new kernel often
introduces regressions, and one vertical may be fine waiting for a fix,
the other may be in a critical release stage and not wanting to.

Being a kernel maintainer for many years (e.g., I maintained the Nokia
N900 phone kernel), I believe chances of merging the mobile and IVI
kernels are small.

>  What
> are your conditions for such cooperation?

If mobile kernel comes to a state when it usually has less than, say, 10
non-upstream patches in it, and those patches are non-intrusive so that
the rebase to a newer kernel is rather easy, we could explore this
opportunity.

What I can probably offer you now in terms of sharing efforts is aiaiai
connected to your kernel. I have aiaiai testing every patch people
submit and putting the results to gerrit comments. For example, check
this:

https://review.tizen.org/gerrit/#/c/13969/

Sorry, the link is not ideal because it had re-submissions and there are
no issues. But if there were, aiaiai would put the details there.

Check what aiaiai is here:
http://git.infradead.org/users/dedekind/aiaiai.git/blob/HEAD:/doc/README.announcement
http://git.infradead.org/users/dedekind/aiaiai.git/blob/HEAD:/doc/README

--