[Dev] External kernel module building and kernel ABI/API check.

Patrick Ohly patrick.ohly at intel.com
Sat Dec 21 19:53:10 GMT 2013

On Fri, 2013-12-20 at 17:36 +0100, Łukasz Stelmach wrote:
> It was <2013-12-20 pią 16:39>, when Artem Bityutskiy wrote:
> > On Fri, 2013-12-20 at 16:23 +0100, Łukasz Stelmach wrote:
> > Kernel stable API and ABI are syscalls, ioctl's, sysfs and proc stuff,
> > known netlink interfaces, etc. Those people try hard to not break, and
> > Linus bashes those who break them badly.
> >
> > Modules use internal kernel functions. API and _semantics_ of those
> > change all the time.
>
> And we want be able to at least spot the change.

But you are not going to be sure that you do. At the moment, all that
you can tell third-party developer is: "the fingerprint has changed,
better recompile your module. It might still work, too (because it
doesn't use any of the modified functions)."

You cannot guarantee that a module continues to work when the
fingerprint is unchanged.

Bottom line is, the third-party developer has to recompile to be on the
safe side after any kernel update, regardless what the fingerprint says.

--
Best Regards, Patrick Ohly

on behalf of Intel on this matter.