[Dev] upgrading systemd, upgrading kernel

Stéphane Desneux stephane.desneux at open.eurogiciel.org
Tue Dec 24 10:13:20 GMT 2013

Hello all,

I wish to add some details about the Tizen:Generic kernel:
- we forked from IVI kernel and added support for more hardware (x86_64 build, a
lot of extra modules etc.). We plan to have the generic kernel aligned on the
latest stable kernel and share efforts with Artem to maintain both kernels (IVI
and Generic).
- the generic kernel should be created soon in gerrit (see
https://bugs.tizen.org/jira/browse/TINF-397)
- meanwhile, we have the Tizen:Generic kernel hosted on github:
https://github.com/eurogiciel-oss/tizen-kernel-generic
- the tizen:generic project is active on the Tizen OBS:
https://build.tizen.org/project/show?project=Tizen%3AGeneric

We expect to have the missing packages created soon and thus having some
snapshots uploaded to download.tizen.org/snapshots/tizen/generic.

We started to build images with our own repo last week and encountered problems;
some are probably related to systemd and smack:
- we had to disable murphy to allow the 'app' user to start weston (conflict on
access to the DRI)
- liveusb images don't boot yet because the initrd file built by dracut doesn't
support security labels: the systemd embedded inside the initrd doesn't boot
correctly
- raw images work but starting a WRT widget makes weston crash.

We'll work on solving these problems after the Christmas break. We can expect
that solving the bugs on Tizen:Generic will help all profiles to have a stronger
base system.

Stay tuned as we'll communicate on Tizen:Generic soon to explain the perimeter,
the objectives and the benefits.

Happy Christmas !

Stéphane

--