[Dev] upgrading systemd, upgrading kernel

Artem Bityutskiy artem.bityutskiy at linux.intel.com
Mon Dec 30 09:39:48 GMT 2013

On Mon, 2013-12-30 at 07:29 +0100, Łukasz Stelmach wrote:
> Indeed they need different configuration. However, I can see no reason
> why all verticals can't use a single source tree. If some need some
> hardware support this should not be a problem for others. If a profile
> needs a patch for kernel's "core" (mm, scheduler, security etc.) that
> conflicts with other verticals we need to resolve the conflict not hide it.

In a more ideal reality, this _could_ be possible. Today - I do not
think so. The reasons were provided in this tread by me and Joel Clark.

If you are in doubt, just try this. Take the IVI kernel, which 3.12 +
few patches on top (almost all of them are upstream now). Put Mobile
stuff there and switch to it. Make it work for Mobile. Then when 3.13 is
out, and the IVI kernel switches to it, go ahead and upgrade the Mobile
kernel too, show that it can be done quickly (say, less than a week).

--
Best Regards,
Artem Bityutskiy