[Dev] RD-PQ tizen.org image status

Łukasz Stelmach l.stelmach at samsung.com
Fri Nov 22 14:01:00 GMT 2013

It was <2013-11-22 pią 13:34>, when Kanevskiy, Alexander wrote:
> On 22/11/13 11:07 , "Łukasz Stelmach" <l.stelmach at samsung.com> wrote:
>
>>It was <2013-11-22 pią 06:42>, when Dong, Junfeng wrote:
>>
>>> I submitted the change of "Removed prepackages section of RD-PQ"
>>
>>My investigation led me to a conclusion that we need the %prepackages
>>section containing setup and filesystem packages.
>>
>>https://review.tizen.org/gerrit/12480
>

> what exactly require packages to be installed with ignoring dependencies ?

It is the way the dependency solver works. If a package without
dependencies (or with very weak ones) appears like boost-license,
terminfo-hwbase or hwdata we can't guaratee it won't be installed before
the setup and filesystem packages although it MUST NOT. Fortunately,
now, neither of the three packages has any files in /bin, /sbin, /lib or
other directories provided as symbolic links by the filesystem package.

    If a package with a file in one of these directories is installed
    BEFORE the filesystem package, the directory won't be symlinked and
    an image ends up with separate /bin and /usr/bin, /sbin and
    /usr/sbin and so on.

To prevent this from happening we can:

1. Make all pacakge maintainers aware of the problem and hope they will
add dependency on the filesystem package if they provide anything in
/bin. (IMHO this is the least reliable solution).

2. Add filesystem as a dependency automatically to every package.
(I don't know if it is a good idea, it *might* incur a performance hit
to solver.)

3. Use prepackages the same way debian has hardcoded a few package names
in its debootstrap scripts.

I will be more than glad to here any fourth option I have missed.

--
Łukasz Stelmach