[Dev] Multi User activation idea.

Łukasz Stelmach l.stelmach at samsung.com
Wed Oct 2 11:14:50 GMT 2013

It was <2013-10-02 śro 11:39>, when Jussi Laako wrote:
> Hi,
>> we need a user
>> database a bit more advanced than /etc/{passwd,groups}. We need the
>> traditional Linux files (they may be read-only) to store the system
>> accounts (bin, daemon, messagebus etc) and another to store human users
>> (this DB needs to be writable).
>
> We have a solution to address these areas.

That's great. I just hope we won't end up installing LDAP on a mobile
phone ;)

> The basic passwd/shadow/groups are definitely not enough, but the
> solution we are working on keeps these the traditional way while
> extending the functionality and allowing certain edit operations.
>
> For example shadow can currently contain only one credential per user,
> but this is not enough for things like allowing multiple alternatives
> like pin-code and biometric.

Pin-code is a form of password nad biometrics... I am afraid current
sensors are not worth trying to use them

http://www.journaldulapin.com/2013/09/24/how-to-create-a-fake-fingerprint-iphone-5s-touch-id-compatible/

> Also basic things like avatar images or nick names are not supported
> by the basic unix files, but those can be provided by extending the
> database.

These can be stored in home directories. Take a look at gdm and/or kdm
how they support avatars.

> We also support guest users with guest data cleanup so that the guest
> environment is fresh each time.

This isn't actually

> Another thing missing from Tizen is display/seat manager that can
> identify, login and switch users without traditional username+password
> prompt.

We'd like to have it too.

--
Łukasz Stelmach