[Dev] Proposal: upgrading GStreamer 1.0.7 to Gstreamer 1.2.0 for Tizen 3.0

Yin, Yan yan.yin at intel.com
Tue Oct 8 09:22:12 GMT 2013

Hi,

We're planning to upgrade Gstreamer 1.0.7 to Gstreamer 1.2.0 for Tizen 3.0, please comment *by the end of this week*, silence would be taken as consensus. :)

Here are some information for your reference:

1)       Both 1.0.7 and 1.2.0 are part of GStreamer 1.x API/ABI stable releases, so porting efforts should be moderate.

2)       1.2.0 contains many bug fixes since 1.0.7, as well as some new features, for example, uvch264 plugin which has been asked by IVI for a long time, is not available in 1.0.7 release.

3)       1.0.7 is released about 4 months ago, considering there will be another several months before Tizen 3.0 final release, upgrading to 1.2.0 can avoid an too dated GStreamer at the time of Tizen 3.0 final release.

There are some interfaces changes between these two versions that we're now aware as below, please list if you have more for your domain.

1)       GstVideoContext has been moved from gst-plugins-bad(1.0.x) to gstreamer core(1.2, new name GstContext). This change means some porting work for gstreamer-vaapi.

Packages to be upgraded:
gstreamer, gst-plugins-base, gst-plugins-good, gst-plugins-ugly, gst-plugins-bad, gst-libav

Regards,
Yan