[Dev] Critical vconf issue causing subtle failures throughout much of the tizen middleware

Peters, Brad T brad.t.peters at intel.com
Thu Oct 10 18:23:02 GMT 2013

The early vconf copy has long been painful, and we used to have a
script which copied initial values out of a static directory filled with
initial values into a live image at startup.

Not sure if that script made the transition to a systemd service

What you're describing sounds like 2 bugs;
 1) a vconf bug where vconf is not properly handling an empty key/value,
and
 2) an issue where initial values are not populating the vconf db. I would
recommend
   targeting this issue at vconf, as well

Best,
-Brad

On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 11:07 AM, Rusty Lynch <rusty.lynch at intel.com> wrote:

> While attempting to debug a bug with the audio session manager where any
> operation would take a crazy long time to finish, I found that the
> problem was that an in-memory vconf key was set with no data.  Vconf
> would then do a series of retries to re-read data from the key when the
> key is in fact just empty, where each retry is 100ms.
>
> Without worrying about fixing vconf (since there is a team going off to
> create a replacement for that), I wanted to understand why my vconf key
> was set with no data in the first place.  On further investigation i
> could see that the memory keys are initially populated with a set of
> defaults from /opt/var/kdb/memory and that ALL of the defaults were just
> empty files.
>
> Looking into this a little further i can see that each of the entries
> in /opt/var/kdb/memory were populated via the post section of various
> packages where the post section would use the vconftool command to set
> the default value.  While this technique works when installing a package
> on a running live image, it fails when running at image creation time.
>
> I don't know why this fails at image creation time, but I see a lot of
> these empty default files and I suspect that each of these are
> triggering some subtle, hard to debug failure condition.  In the case of
> the audio-session-manager it makes the system appear to run very very
> very slow.
>
> Where should I file a bug for this?  This isn't IVI specific. Who would
> own fixing this... the mic developers or the vconf developers?
>
>     --rusty

Best regards,
Brad Peters
Intel SW Engineer