[Dev] Tizen 3.0 proposal for applications launch

Łukasz Stelmach l.stelmach at samsung.com
Mon Oct 14 14:12:19 GMT 2013

It was <2013-10-14 pon 14:51>, when YOUNG IK CHO wrote:
>> The easy and, to my mind correct, solution is to let the
>> kernel take care of setting the security attributes and
>> throw out the whole "launcher" thing. I have *never*
>> been presented evidence that launchers actually
>> improve performance in the final deployed configuration.
>> But, that's a separate argument.
>
> Yes, it is a separete argument but I will just suggest the brief
> number.
>
> On the TIZEN 2.1 (previous version) mobile profile, it gives the huge
> difference. My test app shows:
>
> - launch without preloading : 950msec
>
> - launch with proper preloading : 630msec
>
> When my colleague analized the performance bottle neck, he found that
> around 100~200msec is consumed on the dynamic loader. I know there are
> several solutions like prelink or readlink but preloading works
> better. For WebApp, wrt_launchpad performs pre-initialization heavily
> and it has much more number than Core/Osp App in terms of performance
> gain.

Preloading, however, has a great security issue (please correct me if I
am wrong). The "preloaded" application inherits entire address space of
the launcher. If I am not missing anything it might try, and what is
worst it might succeed in modifying launcher's memory. execve(2)
provides a form isolation between parent and child executing different
code.

--
Łukasz Stelmach