[Dev] Tizen 3.0 proposal for fixing OSP/WRT/Core hard-coded UID issue

Schaufler, Casey casey.schaufler at intel.com
Mon Oct 14 16:20:28 GMT 2013

We are using Smack to provide application isolation. The launcher needs to set the Smack label of the application. Setting the Smack label of a process requires privilege. If there were no launcher involved (if the program were exec()ed) we could use the SMACK64EXEC behavior to achieve this. Since there is a launcher, and the launcher does not use exec() the launcher requires privilege.

> I'm not advocating for SO_PEERCRED & /proc/PID usage, but it can be made
> fairly proper. I have made a small demo client/server pair (attached) that
> should be quite OK for dealing with this combination for whatever use.
>
> I think I will also attempt to fix kernel regarding the "feature" I found (as
> commented in the sources).

Teasers like this are unkind to the developers of the code. Please expound.