[Dev] Tizen 3.0 proposal for applications launch

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Tue Oct 15 16:24:09 GMT 2013

On terça-feira, 15 de outubro de 2013 17:35:13, Łukasz Stelmach wrote:
> > This is not madness. Before we had dynamic shared libraries we had
> > static shared libraries. No runtime linking required, everything is
> > done via table lookups. You can't delete interfaces from a static
> > shared library, so they make development slightly more difficult. They
> > are lots faster.
>
> a.out? I may be too young to remember.

Yeah, that's pre-ELF. It's also before my day. My first Linux install still had
a.out support and libc.so.4, but that was only for compatibility.

ELF is a big beast, however. To speed up, I recommend prelinking libraries,
executables, using techniques like ELF symbol visibility, protected
visibility, -Bsymbolic, etc.

See
http://www.macieira.org/blog/2012/01/sorry-state-of-dynamic-libraries-on-linux/
http://www.macieira.org/blog/2012/01/update-and-benchmark-on-the-dynamic-library-proposals/