[Dev] 3rd party so library installation feature

Carsten Haitzler c.haitzler at samsung.com
Wed Oct 16 03:34:36 GMT 2013

btw. my reply of "you re-invented rpm" is not a joke. what you want is a
package manager. please study up on rpm (since that is what we use for
the base os). you CAN have it use a DIFFERENT rpm database (--dbpath
option). so that rpm db can be owned by the USER not root/os. it can be
seeded with a single virtual package (the "tizen" package) that lists
all the files in the base tizen distro and then everything installed by
rpm depends on it. if the db is owned by the ouser then they USER (not
root) can run the commands happily. rpm SUPPORTS the concept of
relocatable pkgs...(--relocate), and supports the idea of depending on
specific FILES (like libBLAH.so.2) that meets your requirement of not
depending on pkg name. already done. shared libs ALREADY deal with
versioning by major version (libBLAH.so.1 seriesis forwards compatible
until libBLAH.so.2 when it broke - both can be installed at the same
time if packaged properly).

your requirements of "being able to remove a lib that breaks use by
apps" imho is a bad req - but it's possible to do (--force option for
rpm). it's utterly inadvisable though and it's better to just do what
rpm does by default - forbid uninstallation of the dependency (library).

why limit libraries to "partner" and "platform"? you do this then tizen
is not an open platform. simple. it's a walled garden for those "in the
private club only". and in that case tizen is no different to its
competitors. and if its no different then there is no reason for people
to use it or developers to target itbecause it simply has no userbase
compared to its competition.

also... please don't re-invent packaging via manifest xml files. rpm
already does all of this and much more in spec files with an entire
toolset that is well tested. you can forbid running of execution of
pre/post install and uninstall scripts with --noscriptsfor security.

ALL you need/want is some integration work. that means having a tool
that seeds a user-private rpmdb from the system rpm pkg set/files, and
that uses rpm to manage the dependencies/files/conflicts/upgrades etc.
etc. - maybe yum or apt on top etc. for the "fetch files from the
network" bits...and of course the gui bits that expose the
errors/conflicts and issues to the user at installation time.

everything you need and want is already done in rpm. its battle-tested,
enterprise-scale and much more mature than anything android has. it has
been pushed to solve problems far more expansive than what you list and
has come out the other end already. re-inventing this is not a good idea. :)

--
The above message is intended solely for the named addressee and may
contain trade secret, industrial technology or privileged and