[Dev] Tizen 3.0 proposal for applications launch

Carsten Haitzler c.haitzler at samsung.com
Wed Oct 16 03:42:38 GMT 2013

On 10/16/2013 01:24 AM, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On terça-feira, 15 de outubro de 2013 17:35:13, ?ukasz Stelmach wrote:
>>> This is not madness. Before we had dynamic shared libraries we had
>>> static shared libraries. No runtime linking required, everything is
>>> done via table lookups. You can't delete interfaces from a static
>>> shared library, so they make development slightly more difficult. They
>>> are lots faster.
>> a.out? I may be too young to remember.
> Yeah, that's pre-ELF. It's also before my day. My first Linux install still had
> a.out support and libc.so.4, but that was only for compatibility.
>
> ELF is a big beast, however. To speed up, I recommend prelinking libraries,
> executables, using techniques like ELF symbol visibility, protected
> visibility, -Bsymbolic, etc.

i'm not so sure on prelinking. it does have perf upsides, but comes with
downsides. namely ANY change of a shared lib (eg upgrade, security fix
etc.) requires re-running prelink on all binaries and other shred libs
that depend on it. this is costly and requires a lot of tracking. it
also negates the ability to keep md5/sha1 hashes of all files in a
"secure place" and compare against it to detect intrusion and hacking...
:( prelink is a bit of a faustian bargain... :)

> See
> http://www.macieira.org/blog/2012/01/sorry-state-of-dynamic-libraries-on-linux/
> http://www.macieira.org/blog/2012/01/update-and-benchmark-on-the-dynamic-library-proposals/

The above message is intended solely for the named addressee and may
contain trade secret, industrial technology or privileged and
confidential information otherwise protected under applicable law
including the Unfair Competition Prevention and Trade Secret Protection
Act. Any unauthorized dissemination, distribution, copying or use of the
information contained in this communication is strictly prohibited. If
by email and delete this communication immediately.