[Dev] Multi user support propositin

Jussi Laako jussi.laako at linux.intel.com
Wed Oct 16 09:37:00 GMT 2013

On 16.10.2013 7:53, YOUNG IK CHO wrote:
> 1. Dependency
>
>     If the application want to use above APIs, then it's fine. However,
> the library dependency matters for the library. As you stated, glib will
> be proper baseline for dependency tree. Maybe almost library does not
> have any issue with it.

This data should originate from the XDG specification and related
environment variables, so it shouldn't need any dependecy to glib. glib
just provides an easy to use API to access those standard paths. Any
application should be able to come up with the same paths by following
the XDG specification.

My point was that lot of upstream projects that already depend on glib
use those functions to retrieve relevant paths. In my opinion we
shouldn't modify glib to return some other non-standard paths, because
then upstream projects following the XDG spec, but not using glib will
end up with different directories. And we shouldn't modify those
applications either, because that creates unnecessary maintenance burden
and upstream deviation for our codebase.

> 2. Scalability
>
>    If we need to add other directory like media directory or app-root
> directory, app-data directory, we probably need to add more functions
> similar to above. To handle this situation, maybe we need to provide
> simple wrapper library and use above glib functions internally.

IIRC, there's already freedesktop standard for $HOME/Documents,
$HOME/Music and $HOME/Videos and such.