[Dev] 3rd party so library installation feature

Łukasz Stelmach l.stelmach at samsung.com
Wed Oct 16 10:09:43 GMT 2013

It was <2013-10-16 śro 06:56>, when Carsten Haitzler wrote:
> On 10/16/2013 01:44 PM, 함동읍 wrote:

[...]
>>> btw. my reply of "you re-invented rpm" is not a joke. what you want
>>> is a package manager. please study up on rpm (since that is what we
>>> use for the base os). you CAN have it use a DIFFERENT rpm database
>>> (--dbpath option).
> [...]
>> In this mail, I am saying the downloadable application package(Tizen
>> native package(*.tpk) or Tizen web package(*.wgt)) not the rpm
>> packages.
>>
>> In tizen ecosystem and tizen store, application developers can
>> register thier apps that are packaged by tpk or wgt only.
>> I don't want to re-invent the existing rpm packagement system, the
>> feature is just related to downloadable application packages like apk
>> in Android.
>
> what i am saying is "you should use rpm for managing the libraries and
> dependencies". the job is already done.the toolis already part of tizen.
> it's there. it's tested.use it.

To be precies, it is not RPM that manages dependencies but rather
libsolv[1]. RPM itself can do very little for solving dependencies. The
best it can do is check if the dependencies are satisfied.

> tpk or wgt packages should not PROVIDE/package shared libs/content.

I replied Dongeup Ham's mail yesterday but I focused on some other
aspects than package managment. I am curious why, in your opinion tpk
and wgt packages are not good medium to distribute shared libraries.

> all you are doing is re-inventing rpm (or deb, or any one of a dozen
> other tools) but now instead stuffing it into tpk/wgt because rpm is
> "not invented here" and for the sake of quoting "policies like "but
> tizen store only handles tpk/wgt". that's just saying "but we invented
> a new standard because we didn't know how to use existing ones and now
> that we made that mistake we'll keep on making it because we can't
> re-evaluate our past decisions".

I mean, there are already a few pieces of the 3rd party software
distribution system (wrt-installer, osp-installer) that work quite
differently than rpm. Adding dependency handling, especially in short
term like Tizen 3.0 or even 4.0, seems to me a lot easier than adapting
RPM to handle requirements of application ecosystem.

Technically it might even mean changing the format of RPM packages
because, not everybody knows this, there is a fixed list RPM headers[2]
which most probably does not meet the needs. (It does not meet the needs
of building our platform, IMHO)

[1] https://github.com/openSUSE/libsolv
[2] http://rpm.org/gitweb?p=rpm.git;a=blob;f=lib/rpmtag.h;h=e8e9dee264f47e81c44a53108625ba3221e4e90f;hb=26389a69ac37f37dd35b12ef340316dc903b3955
--