[Dev] Tizen 3.0 proposal for fixing OSP/WRT/Core hard-coded UID issue

Patrick Ohly patrick.ohly at intel.com
Wed Oct 16 11:37:33 GMT 2013

On Wed, 2013-10-16 at 14:19 +0300, Jussi Laako wrote:
> On 16.10.2013 13:38, Baptiste DURAND wrote:
> >   * First,
> >
> > Following DBUS Documentation,
> > There is only 1 dbus session per user login.
> > "The other instances are created one per user login session. These
> > instances allow applications in the user's session to communicate with
> > one another. "
> >  > http://dbus.freedesktop.org/doc/dbus-tutorial.html
> >
> > So DBUS is designed to get only 1 dbus session per USER.
>
> I understand that different way, that new session bus daemon is started
> on each login (each login creates new session). Especially because it
> says "in session".

I agree with you that the wording above is about the user *session*. not
the user. However, what the tutorial says and what works (and what
doesn't) in practice are not necessarily the same.

> Otherwise things get screwed up when you activate for example X11
> application through dbus, it would end up in wrong display, because the
> DISPLAY environment comes inherited from the session bus daemon...
>
> As an example:
> 1) I login with user "jussi" from local console on DISPLAY=":0",
> "dbus-daemon --session" gets started
> 2) I remotely login over ssh with user "jussi" from remote computer on
> DISPLAY="localhost:11" and run an application
> 3) Application I run in (2) involves dbus activation on session bus for
> another application

I doubt that this works reliably for all kinds of apps and sessions. For
example, it is not possible to use EDS and thus a GNOME session like
this.

That doesn't mean that it can't be made to work, we only know that we
cannot answer the question by looking at how traditional Linux desktops
work.

--
Best Regards, Patrick Ohly

on behalf of Intel on this matter.