[Dev] Tizen 3 architecture question

Gerken, Stephen sgerken at jaguarlandrover.com
Wed Oct 16 17:37:45 GMT 2013

Hello Mikko,

A block diagram would be a good place to start.

I am looking at Tizen IVI as, in part, providing interface and translation
between electrical components present in a vehicle and HMI-level
presentations such as Tizen web apps.  Any given well-behaved web app
doesn't interact directly with a particular brand and model of LED display;
it interacts with various OS-provided interfaces, such as weston/wayland
for visual presentation.  Similarly, a well-behaved web app won't directly
drive varying electrical pulses on a particular piece of wire to emit 3G or
other telephony signals.  I expect Tizen and appropriate drivers to provide
some form of API, so that there is at least one level of abstraction
between a web app and the control logic for a particular telephony I/O
device.

I am initially interested in understanding what the external interfaces are
that Tizen makes available, and also internal interfaces to the extent that
there is an internally segmented structure or component structure by which
Tizen may be augmented, with a primary focus on information flow from
physical devices to Tizen apps, and on inquiry or command flow from Tizen
apps to physical devices.  I recognize that for some peripheral devices,
the I/O at the level closest to the device is brokered by a driver which is
not part of Tizen; in this case, I am interested in the API that Tizen
provides for the author of the driver to interact with Tizen.

I am not initially interested in task scheduling, memory stack sizing or
heap management, interrupt levels, or other APIs by which Tizen manages the
resources of the in-vehicle computing platform.  I expect I will have
interest in this area at some time, but I am not starting there.

Any information along these lines that you can provide would be helpful.

Thanks,

Steve Gerken
Linux Developer
MSX, as broker for Jaguar Land Rover

One World Trade Center, 121 SW Salmon Street, 11th Floor, Portland, Oregon,
97204
Email: sgerken at jaguarlandrover.com