[Dev] Tizen 3.0 proposal for fixing OSP/WRT/Core hard-coded UID issue

Łukasz Stelmach l.stelmach at samsung.com
Thu Oct 17 07:28:52 GMT 2013

It was <2013-10-16 śro 16:13>, when Jussi Laako wrote:
> On 16.10.2013 16:59, Łukasz Stelmach wrote:
>> Current ideas for desktop are that there is one session for one user. If
>> user logs in on multiple seats this is still a single session as there
>> is quite some software that can't run more than once for a single user.
>
> That's not how X11 sessions work,

FWIW, there is no such thing as X11 session. X11 is just a display
server (almost) everyone can connect to.

> nor how dbus is currently implemented.

That is correct... halfway. This is the way that dbus is set up in
Tizen.  Take a look at [1] and [2] and the code [3].

Last time I talked to Lenart Pottering, he was aiming the model I've
described with his systemd-logind. First time user logs in a session is
started and it is closed when the last shell dies. The only problem I
can see here is: is it possible to heave more than one active seat?

> Then you need to modify current dbus-daemon service launching
> semantics so that the apps fire up at correct seat.
>
> So far, I have not experienced problems with multiple sessions per
> single user. Just as before X11 you could have different TTYs for
> multiple sessions for the same user.

I havn't myself too. However, I've heard Gnome, for example, does have
some problems running in more than one session for the same user (I've
heard the issues are because of the way some information is stored and
shared in ~/.gnome* directories, I havn't seen it myself)

> Which way this is modeled in Tizen partially defines certain
> constraints like guest accounts and such.

I think the user == session approach looks good, although, not all
software may support it today. Take for example

[1] https://review.tizen.org/git/?p=platform/upstream/dbus.git;a=blob;f=packaging/dbus-user.socket;h=8a12c4906b132834c85588ab6be42d45c0c59848;hb=HEAD
[2] https://review.tizen.org/git/?p=platform/upstream/dbus.git;a=blob;f=packaging/dbus-user.service;h=8dc77f4a1ac9488d3760ed612dfc47f0db55d768;hb=HEAD
[3] bus/activation.c, bus/bus.c, bus/main.c, dbus/dbus-server-socket.c,
    dbus/dbus-server-unix.c, dbus/dbus-sysdeps-unix.c

--
Łukasz Stelmach