[Dev] Tizen 3.0 proposal for fixing OSP/WRT/Core hard-coded UID issue

Patrick Ohly patrick.ohly at intel.com
Thu Oct 17 09:31:18 GMT 2013

On Thu, 2013-10-17 at 11:42 +0300, Jussi Laako wrote:
> Those services who expect to have exclusive access to something in $HOME
> are broken by design and probably also misbehave in multithreaded
> environment too and thus cannot exploit benefits of parallelism.
> Databases support basic locking and transactions.

Shared resp. exclusive file access leads to different solutions with
different tradeoffs. Which one is better depends on the specific set of
requirements, and thus calling one of them "broken by design" is a bit
strong.

For example, exclusive write access to the sqlite DB in EDS or the Tizen
contacts service simplifies change notification, because a single
process knows what changes are made at a semantic level and can send
change notifications to readers more efficiently. With shared write
access, all a reader can get from the OS is "file modified".

There's also nothing that prevents multithreading in such a design. I
don't see how you came to that conclusion. EDS is internally
multithreaded and allows concurrent reads directly from the sqlite file
(only writing is centralized).

--
Best Regards, Patrick Ohly

on behalf of Intel on this matter.