[Dev] 3rd party so library installation feature

Reshetova, Elena elena.reshetova at intel.com
Fri Oct 18 06:21:27 GMT 2013

> But if the so libraries are labeled by "_" and located in {app root}/shared/res/(common shared directory), does it have many security vulnerable points?

I would say that we only label trusted libraries as "_" and place them in common dirs. However, if you would like to further restrict what process can load this or that library (all labelled as floor), then I would suggest using Smack mmap xattr. If it is set for example to identify the source of library (repository, app store or simply unknown), it would enforce the following behaviour: a process can only load a library with mmap label attr set if and only if the mmap label of library has all the accesses as the process that is about to load the lib.

I would give an example:

Suppose we have a process running in the System domain (labelled "System") that tries to load a library labelled "_" and with mmap label "TizenAppStore" (this label can be set by rpm security plugin for native rpm packages as a result of signature verification on a package that would determine the sw source of package. Other installers can do a similar thing.). Also suppose that we have two smack rules present on the device: "System User w" and "System System::shared rwxat" (rules can be anything, this is just one example). Now, if our process wants to load the lib, Smack would do the following checks:

1. Builds a list of rules that "System" subject label has access to. In our example, it is two rules: "System User w" and "System System::shared rwxat"
2. Checks that for every rule from step 1, "TizenAppStore" label has at least the same amount of accesses or more.

So, it would check that these two rules also exist: "TizenAppStore User w" and "TizenAppStore System::shared rwxat". If they don't, then loading will fail.

The way how these rules can be created is again based on the package manager: for example rpm security plugin maintains the policy where each sw source can be explicitly allowed or denied certain labels. For example, "TizenAppStore" as a sw source can be not allowed to grant access to "System" domain, because of its sensitivity. On the other hand, a sw source called "TizenImageRepo" can be allowed to grant access to any label, because it is a main sw source for updates. Based on such policy, package manager can either create rules of type " TizenAppStore System::shared rwxat" (between sw source label and system labels) or not.

This method is quite heavy and not that straightforward to understand (however it would work for the purpose), but so far I wasn't able to find any better solution for this use case given mechanisms at our hands.

Best Regards,
Elena.