[Dev] [SCM] inter-package patch dependencies

Łukasz Stelmach l.stelmach at samsung.com
Fri Oct 18 11:57:23 GMT 2013

Hi.

I saw this problem few times before and now a teammate of mine told me
he's got it too. The problem I'd like to discuss is inter-package patch
dependencies.

Sometimes we introduce some changes that need other packages to be
changed too. So we change those too. Then, after the changes pass review
and get merged they are submitted to OBS. But if they get submitted in
the wrong order build-breaks occure.

I wonder if we could develope some kind of dependency checking for
submit requests. Commit messages could contain lines like "Requires:
Iabcd*" refering to change-id (hash ids?) in different projects.
Such solution might even reduce amount of work SCM need to do when they
have to revert OBS commits to keep the packages OK.

RFC.

--
Łukasz Stelmach