[Dev] 3rd party so library installation feature

Jussi Laako jussi.laako at linux.intel.com
Fri Oct 18 12:17:22 GMT 2013

On 17.10.2013 11:44, Łukasz Stelmach wrote:
> And is packaged by the organisation that builds the distro. That is what
> makes it all work together. Tell me how many packages on your computer
> come packaged for your distribution from a vendor other that the creator
> of the distribution?

At least I have:
0) Opera browser
1) Qt packages replacing the ones provided by distro
2) My own application
3) VLC with all it's dependencies (quite a lot)
4) MPlayer with all it's dependencies
5) XMMS 1.x (screwed up build by the distro vendor, lacks my patches)
6) LAME (does any distro include this?)
7) grip (dropped by many distros already)

I'm very regularly building rpms and debs that either replace distro
vendor's packages or add new software.

I think Opera is one good example who build and distribute packages for
multiple distributions.