[Dev] problem of wrong prinstine tar file

Lehtonen, Markus markus.lehtonen at intel.com
Fri Oct 18 09:01:38 GMT 2013

Hi,

Yes, that is obviously caused by a "broken" pristine-tar branch, generated by a buggy version of pristine-tar.

There must be dozens (or even hundreds) of packages with broken pristine-tar branches, because of this. We should go through all the packages and repair the broken branches in co-operation with the package maintainers. In order to fix the pristine-tar branch without modifying/cluttering the upstream branch and upstream tags, one should use the pristine-tar tool directly. Just re-commit the broken tarballs to pristine-tar branch, e.g.:
1. Get the release tarball from upstream, e.g.
  $ http://curl.haxx.se/download/curl-7.32.0.tar.bz2
2. Re-commit it to pristine-tar, e.g.:
  $ pristine-tar commit curl-7.32.0.tar.bz2 upstream/7.32.0

Another thing: I'd actually like to change gbs to NOT ignore pristine-tar errors. Currently gbs falls back to generating the tarball from the upstream tag, if pristine-tar fails. Thus, we cannot be sure what sources we're actually using when building the package. My proposal is to change gbs build (or export) to fail if pristine-tar branch is present and pristine-tar checkout fails.

Thanks,
  Markus