[Dev] 3rd party so library installation feature

Łukasz Stelmach l.stelmach at samsung.com
Fri Oct 18 15:33:40 GMT 2013

It was <2013-10-18 pią 14:17>, when Jussi Laako wrote:
> On 17.10.2013 11:44, Łukasz Stelmach wrote:
>> And is packaged by the organisation that builds the distro. That is what
>> makes it all work together. Tell me how many packages on your computer
>> come packaged for your distribution from a vendor other that the creator
>> of the distribution?
>
> At least I have:
> 0) Opera browser
> 1) Qt packages replacing the ones provided by distro
> 2) My own application
> 3) VLC with all it's dependencies (quite a lot)
> 4) MPlayer with all it's dependencies
> 5) XMMS 1.x (screwed up build by the distro vendor, lacks my patches)
> 6) LAME (does any distro include this?)
> 7) grip (dropped by many distros already)

7. How many packages have you got installed on your machine? (rpm -qa |
wc -l; dpkg -l | grep '^ii' | wc -l)

> I'm very regularly building rpms and debs that either replace distro
> vendor's packages or add new software.

I should have added that "you" do not count for a "vendor other that the
creator of the distribution". There is nothing wrong with you of course
(-; it simply does not prove the point that in general building packages
by 3rd parties is a common practice.

> I think Opera is one good example who build and distribute packages
> for multiple distributions.

Yes and on of very few who does so.

--
Łukasz Stelmach