[Dev] Tizen 3.0 : Optimizing applications launch time

Łukasz Stelmach l.stelmach at samsung.com
Mon Oct 21 08:13:38 GMT 2013

It was <2013-10-18 pią 20:16>, when Stéphane Desneux wrote:
> I'm currently investigating with Dominique Le Foll on some ways to
> improve the application launch time (WRT, OSP or core apps).
>
> Before thinking of checking preloaders and other mechanisms, I just
> sat down and looked at the actual shared libs we can find in
> tizen/common (x86_64) and IVI (i586).
>
> First surprise: binaries and libs are *not* stripped.

[...]

> ----
>
> Conclusion: stripping the binaries has a great impact:
> - smaller image size: faster to load from storage,

AFAIK this is not true. Linker does not read(2) libraries, it mmap(2)s
them and accesses only the parts it needs. This is how shareing the code
works. This might be true if you do some kind of prefetch or something.

> faster to download from tizen.org (and more bandwidth for everyone
> ;-)) - faster application launch, at least for WRT

True.

> Next week, I'll check more precisely why we gain 75% on the binary
> size: perhaps a few libs are responsible for this... Or is this
> globally distributed over all the binaries ?

Please remember that we need those symbols for crash diagnostics. You
might want to refer to Fedoras ABRT[1] to see how a good crash reporting
system looks like. If I don't make things up, Fedora keeps some debuging
symbols to improve the process.

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/ABRT?rd=Features/CrashCatcher
--
Łukasz Stelmach