[Dev] Tizen 3.0 : Optimizing applications launch time

Stéphane Desneux stephane.desneux at eurogiciel.fr
Mon Oct 21 11:06:25 GMT 2013

On 21/10/2013 11:06, sangjung.woo wrote:
> On 10/21/2013 05:13 PM, Łukasz Stelmach wrote:
>> It was <2013-10-18 pią 20:16>, when Stéphane Desneux wrote:
>>> ----
>>>
>>> Conclusion: stripping the binaries has a great impact:
>>> - smaller image size: faster to load from storage,
>> AFAIK this is not true. Linker does not read(2) libraries, it mmap(2)s
>> them and accesses only the parts it needs. This is how shareing the code
>> works. This might be true if you do some kind of prefetch or something.
>>

> I agreed with Lukasz's opinion.
> IIRC, default EFL linker script does not map the debug section even
> though '-g' option is used.
> So there is no big difference between stripped and non-stripped binaries.

 From a global POV, I agree with you.

But how can we explain the difference for the first Webapp launch ? From
what I can see, libewebkit2 weights 1.3GB and this has clearly an impact
on WRT launchpad reactivity.

I don't say that stripping the binaries is the ultimate solution to
speed-up app launch. I only report that there's some impact. Also note
that linux distros usually strip their binaries before shipping and I
don't see why Tizen would be an exception.

Partial stripping could be a good compromise.

Regards,
Stéphane

--
Stéphane Desneux