[Dev] Tizen 3.0 : Optimizing applications launch time

Łukasz Stelmach l.stelmach at samsung.com
Mon Oct 21 11:30:26 GMT 2013

It was <2013-10-21 pon 11:06>, when sangjung.woo wrote:
> On 10/21/2013 05:13 PM, Łukasz Stelmach wrote:
>> It was <2013-10-18 pią 20:16>, when Stéphane Desneux wrote:
>>> Conclusion: stripping the binaries has a great impact:
>>> - smaller image size: faster to load from storage,
>> AFAIK this is not true. Linker does not read(2) libraries, it mmap(2)s
>> them and accesses only the parts it needs. This is how shareing the code
>> works. This might be true if you do some kind of prefetch or something.
>>

> I agreed with Lukasz's opinion. IIRC, default EFL linker script does
> not map the debug section even though '-g' option is used.  So there
> is no big difference between stripped and non-stripped binaries.
>
> BTW, how about use '-static' option in case of some critical preloaded
> app?  The binary size might be little bit bigger then stripped one,
> but static linked binaries are tend to slightly faster startup times
> then dynamic linked one.

The greatest downside of static linking the memory footprint. The code
is loaded as many times as applications using it are started. That being
said, if we consider two factors: commonness and size of libraries we
should not link statically against big and commonly used libraries.
Linking statically against seldom used small libraries means fixing apps
case by case which isn't very efficient. The other two cases are
somewhat grey area.

--
Łukasz Stelmach