[Dev] 3rd party so library installation feature

Łukasz Stelmach l.stelmach at samsung.com
Mon Oct 21 12:11:54 GMT 2013

It was <2013-10-21 pon 11:17>, when Jussi Laako wrote:
> On 18.10.2013 18:33, Łukasz Stelmach wrote:
>> I should have added that "you" do not count for a "vendor other that the
>> creator of the distribution". There is nothing wrong with you of course
>> (-; it simply does not prove the point that in general building packages
>> by 3rd parties is a common practice.
>
> I think I do count...
>
>>> I think Opera is one good example who build and distribute packages
>>> for multiple distributions.
>>
>> Yes and on of very few who does so.
>
> That just demonstrates sorry state of desktop Linux, because ISVs
> generally don't deliver their software for Linux.
>
> There are few others, like Adobe (Flash), Nero CD-burning software (I
> purchased this in the past) and of course Intel's software development
> tools (ICC/IFC, IPP, MKL, TBB, VTune, etc).
>
> How would you propose ISV to deliver their commercial proprietary
> software

<rant>
I'd rather not use proprietary software.
</rant>

> offering for Linux?

1. In some sort of packages rathare than with self-extracting
archives/installers. Depending on whether it is a "user software"
(e.g. Photoshop, AutoCAD) or "system software" (e.g. database servers)
one of two packaging systems should be used: user packages or system
packages. At the moment we've got only the latter. Even if the file
formats allow the software that supports them do not provide support for
"user packages". Even if rpm(8) itself can be forced to work like this
GUI applications are not tailored for such use-case.

2. Software should be built for well defined targets. This means either

a) building for a particlular version of a prticular distribuiton with a
tool like OBS, which works for "system software".

b) establishing a standard sets of ABIs that a "user software" can rely
on. Standard ABIs could be supported by different distributions.

3. There should be a platform for running "user software" in a confined
environment.

Neither of these points answer the question: how to enable inter ISV
dependencies? To be honest, I do not know how to do it to make it work.
What I've seen under Windows is an utter mess when applications (e.g
Wireshark, Gimp) ship with their copies of libraries (e.g. libpcap,
gtk+). What I've seen under GNU/Linux are greate packaging systems that
make system maintanance nice and easy task, although building packages
for every version of every distribution out there is a bit of a headache
for an ISV.

Kind regards,
--
Łukasz Stelmach