[Dev] Tizen 3.0 : Optimizing applications launch time

Łukasz Stelmach l.stelmach at samsung.com
Mon Oct 21 12:20:18 GMT 2013

It was <2013-10-21 pon 11:26>, when Jussi Laako wrote:
> On 18.10.2013 21:16, Stéphane Desneux wrote:
>> So, I decided to strip everything in /usr/bin and /usr/lib64 on the
>> tizen/common image:
>> - /usr/bin:   before 67MB   after 58MB  => gain=13%
>> - /usr/lib64: before 1.2GB  after 407MB => * gain=75% * !!!!
>>
>> => the impact on the size is huge. For embedded systems with slow flash
>> drives, it'd be even more noticeable.
>
> Why the packages are not stripped already with debug symbols in
> separate debug packages? AFAIK, most distributions ship stripped
> binaries and separate debug symbols... I think both openSUSE and
> Ubuntu/Debian run strip as part of the package build process.

Tizen also has debuginfo and debugsource rpms.

Please remember there is a number of different section types in ELF
files that strip(1) can throw away without rendering the file
unuseable. Stéphane, could you please check which of them are present
before and after you use strip(1). You could use readelf(1) to
investigate that.

--
Łukasz Stelmach