[Dev] Tizen 3.0 : Optimizing applications launch time

Łukasz Stelmach l.stelmach at samsung.com
Mon Oct 21 12:26:36 GMT 2013

It was <2013-10-21 pon 12:51>, when Stéphane Desneux wrote:
> On 21/10/2013 10:13, Łukasz Stelmach wrote:
>> It was <2013-10-18 pią 20:16>, when Stéphane Desneux wrote:
>>> Conclusion: stripping the binaries has a great impact:
[...]
>>> faster to download from tizen.org (and more bandwidth for everyone
>>> ;-)) - faster application launch, at least for WRT
>>
>> True.
>
> The impact seems interesting for the launchpads (which preload some
> libs with dlopen()).

dlopen(3) also uses mmap(2).

>>> Next week, I'll check more precisely why we gain 75% on the binary
>>> size: perhaps a few libs are responsible for this... Or is this
>>> globally distributed over all the binaries ?
>
> I found the lib responsible for the extra 1.2GB on tizen/common: it's
> /usr/lib64/libewebkit2.so . Other libs are not that big, stripped or
> not. => some specific fitness program should be applied on this lib
> :-)

Could you please check with readelf(1) which sections take some much
space?

>> Please remember that we need those symbols for crash diagnostics. You
>> might want to refer to Fedoras ABRT[1] to see how a good crash reporting
>> system looks like. If I don't make things up, Fedora keeps some debuging
>> symbols to improve the process.
>>
>> [1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/ABRT?rd=Features/CrashCatcher
>
> ABRT seems to be able to download the debuginfos on the fly to produce
> more meaningfull dumps. But for Tizen it's probably not a good idea as
> we don't want to fill the user device with debug files !

It depends only on how much we can gain in quality of QA work. If
downloading/keeping/preinstalling debug files allows for faster patch
release then why not?

> So we have to keep enough information in binaries to have good dumps.

Not exactly, we could keep them in separate files the same way debug
information in debuginfo rpm files are packaged today. These files could
be compressed.

--
Łukasz Stelmach