[Dev] dlogutil breakage

Rusty Lynch rusty.lynch at intel.com
Mon Oct 21 23:54:11 GMT 2013

On Tue, 2013-10-22 at 08:48 +0900, sangjung.woo wrote:
> On 10/22/2013 08:33 AM, Rusty Lynch wrote:
> > On Mon, 2013-10-21 at 16:23 -0700, Rusty Lynch wrote:
> >> Today I am noticing a new issue with dlogutil, where attempts to run the
> >> utility fail with an error saying it can no longer open /dev/log_main.
> >>
> >> The file isn't there, but i haven't had a kernel update.  Can somebody
> >> shed some light on what might cause this?  I see the dlog-main.service
> >> and dlog-radio.service are in failure states, but I don't know if that
> >> was true before.
> > Answered my own question.  I'm not sure what changed but the logger
> > module isn't being loaded any more at least with the ivi kernel.
>
> In order to enable the logger module (i.e. Android log driver),
> the Kernel configuration has "CONFIG_ANDROID_LOGGER" option.
> You can enable it using "make munuconfig" or edit .config file by yourself.
> (Find "ANDROID_LOGGER" in munuconfig using "/" option.)
>
> The logger module located in 'drivers/staging/android' of Linux Kernel
> so check whether the the logger.c file in this directory is complied or
> not after building the ivi Kernel.

Let me clarify.  The IVI image has long had a functional dlogutil.  This
is a basic capability I use every day to debug breakage.

I'm not sure what changed, although an ivi kernel change is likely the
issue, but for some reason we do not automatically load the logger
kernel module.  I can get past this by modprobing the logger module.

   --rusty