[Dev] Tizen 3.0 : Optimizing applications launch time

Łukasz Stelmach l.stelmach at samsung.com
Tue Oct 22 07:26:19 GMT 2013

It was <2013-10-21 pon 16:39>, when Jussi Laako wrote:
> On 21.10.2013 13:51, Stéphane Desneux wrote:
>> ABRT seems to be able to download the debuginfos on the fly to produce
>> more meaningfull dumps. But for Tizen it's probably not a good idea as
>> we don't want to fill the user device with debug files !
>
> It should be only enabled in developer mode / engineering images, not
> for final products.

Why not? All differences considered, Fedora ships with ABRT enabled and
RedHat people are able to spot problems really quick. Sometimes even
before someone files a bug at bugzilla.

>> I wonder if the crashreporter can produce correct reports with partially
>> stripped binaries: I mean we could strip the .debug_info section
>> (responsible for the extra weight) but keep the other symbols to have
>> meaningful backtraces. i.e running 'strip --strip-debug' instead of
>> 'strip --strip-all'.
>
> Just as with normal core dumps, crashreporter should only report the
> address info, it shouldn't try to resolve symbols. And then when
> analyzing the crash you can have the symbol information
> available. This is normal way on other platforms too.

I went to a conference where a guy gave a speech about ABRT. It is way
more advanced than that. It is even capable of properly reporting errors
in user-compiled binaries. There is a lot of magic before it is
possible.  A lot of work is done to anonymise dumps on a host and even
more in RH's infrastructure to categorise reports. Unfortunately the
talk was the only one at the conference that hasn't been published on
yt.

--
Łukasz Stelmach