[Dev] [OT] dB (was: 3rd party so library installation feature)

Łukasz Stelmach l.stelmach at samsung.com
Tue Oct 22 09:25:21 GMT 2013

It was <2013-10-22 wto 11:03>, when Jussi Laako wrote:
> On 21.10.2013 15:16, Łukasz Stelmach wrote:
>>> Hard to say exact number, but around 150 packages out of 4463
>>> installed are built by me.
>>
>> Is it agreable that 3.36%[*]  isn't a large number.
>
> It is still notable impact, especially given that for example Qt is
> used by all of the KDE desktop... But of course it is not huge
> percentage.
>
>> [*] -3.4 dB, I've been reading some specs for some audio ICs
>> recently. Some of them have THD in [%] other in [dB].
>
> 20*log10(0.0336) == -29.473 dBFS

?...

> 10^(-3.4/20) == 67.608%
>
> ;)

Wait a minute...

log(10) = 2.30258509299 (?)
log(exp(1)) = 1

this means my log() is ln() in Emacs.

Indeed it is -29.473, that is even less than I though.  Why dBFS? There
is no absolute Full-Scale in this case. Full-Scale might be the number
of of packages available for the distribution rather than installed on
your machine.

--
Łukasz Stelmach