[Dev] 3rd party so library installation feature

Dominig ar Foll (Intel OTC) dominig.arfoll at fridu.net
Tue Oct 22 09:49:47 GMT 2013

Hello,

rather than starting by discussing how to add 3rd party on a Tizen
platform we might want by defining if we actually want to allow it.

In all the inressting discussion of this thread, I see a lot of
interresting discussion which would make sence for a:
  - desktop
  - rooted device
  - development platform

But when it come to understand what is the value for a connected device
which is the main targe market for Tizen, I am a bit more unconfortable
with the idea of adding 3rd party lib(s) in the platform from an App
request.

We are building Tizen with features to garantee the security of the
platform and the isolation of applications from the platform.

Allowing applications to add any library to the platform would put at
serious risk that initial goal.

For me, in short, if a platform needs a library, it should be the
platform responsibility to add it and make it available to the plaform's
applications.

By available, I mean, either including in the initial image, or when
license do not allow a direct shipment in the image, by providing an
install utility which will download the lib on user demand (after
license and/or payment acceptation)

If an application needs a special library(ies) which is not provided by
the platform, it should be up to the aaplication to provide this lib
bundled with the app. Obviously that would increase the size of the App,
but it's a small price to pay compare to the risk of breaking our
initial vision of App isolation from the platform.

Wiching you a nice and fun day.

Dominig ar Foll
Senior Software Architect
Open Source Technology Centre