[Dev] 3rd party so library installation feature

Jussi Laako jussi.laako at linux.intel.com
Tue Oct 22 10:09:57 GMT 2013

On 22.10.2013 12:49, Dominig ar Foll (Intel OTC) wrote:
> For me, in short, if a platform needs a library, it should be the
> platform responsibility to add it and make it available to the plaform's
> applications.

One of the more challenging areas of extension points is to allow 3rd
party anti-virus, internet-security and call/messaging-encryption
software suites to hook into the system.

I can think of couple of cases at least:
1) Install missing audio/video codecs to the system
2) Install support for missing services and authentication methods to
the system

So let's say I have a company and service called "Google" that is not
supported by the platform when it ships and I want to provide seamless
integration to the platform for my services. Including:
0) Integration with accounts configuration, so users can configure their
account for my service in the control panel
1) Integration with the address book, so users can make calls to phone
numbers stored in my cloud-addressbook
2) Integration with call UI so user can seamlessly make calls using my
VoIP service and call numbers stored in my service
3) Integration with messaging UI so user can seamlessly send/receive IMs
using my IM service and send SMS messages to contacts stored in my service
4) Integration with camera and gallery so user can upload photos
straight from camera or gallery to my service
5) Integration with media player, so users can seamlessly view video
streams and listen audio streams from my streaming services using my
special custom codec I developed.

As codec examples, I cloud list Skype's SILK-codec or Google's VP8-codec.

Of course lot of these are plugin-type items for which the platform
should support through extension points.