[Dev] 3rd party so library installation feature

Łukasz Stelmach l.stelmach at samsung.com
Tue Oct 22 13:34:19 GMT 2013

It was <2013-10-22 wto 11:49>, when Dominig ar Foll (Intel OTC) wrote:
> Hello,
>
> rather than starting by discussing how to add 3rd party on a Tizen
> platform we might want by defining if we actually want to allow it.
>
> In all the inressting discussion of this thread, I see a lot of
> interresting discussion which would make sence for a:
>  - desktop
>  - rooted device
>  - development platform
>
> But when it come to understand what is the value for a connected
> device which is the main targe market for Tizen, I am a bit more
> unconfortable with the idea of adding 3rd party lib(s) in the platform
> from an App request.
>
> We are building Tizen with features to garantee the security of the
> platform and the isolation of applications from the platform.
>
> Allowing applications to add any library to the platform would put at
> serious risk that initial goal.

That's why I've suggested[1] the libraries should not be available to the
system dynamic linker. Instead, the third-party libraries can provide
static stubs that would load the dynamic parts with dlopen(3).

> For me, in short, if a platform needs a library, it should be the
> platform responsibility to add it and make it available to the
> plaform's applications.

What can you say about Windows? Both mobile and a large share of
desktops are practically unadministrated.

> By available, I mean, either including in the initial image, or when
> license do not allow a direct shipment in the image, by providing an
> install utility which will download the lib on user demand (after
> license and/or payment acceptation)

Enabling anything from the outside to patch the system is a security
issue.

> If an application needs a special library(ies) which is not provided
> by the platform, it should be up to the aaplication to provide this
> lib bundled with the app. Obviously that would increase the size of
> the App, but it's a small price to pay compare to the risk of breaking
> our initial vision of App isolation from the platform.

It also increases memory footprint because applications can't share the
code.

Having said all that. I also don't want "library apps" in a store,
although for different reason. I am afraid it is going to be a great
mess (we've seen it on Windows) which will degrade UX.

[1] https://lists.tizen.org/pipermail/dev/2013-October/000304.html
--
Łukasz Stelmach