[Dev] [OT] dB

Jussi Laako jussi.laako at linux.intel.com
Tue Oct 22 13:47:59 GMT 2013

On 22.10.2013 16:18, Łukasz Stelmach wrote:
> The way I've been taught full-scale is something absolute. For example
> you've got audio signal with 16 bits per sample and you can't have
> anything louder than 0 dBFS. You can't have a sample above 65535.

Yes, although with more frequently used normalized floating point
representation 0 dBFS is natural +-1.0 level which of course is not
anywhere near value range limits. For DSD, 0 dBFS is defined to be 50%
modulation depth which you can of course exceed (SACD specifies max
allowed +3.1 dBFS). Note that 50% modulation depth of course is
fulfilled by number of different bit patterns!

In general the reference point should be something absolute. In this
case the reference point was "all installed packages".